||Latvian fellowships for research work
The Baltic International Academy takes part in the project Scholarships for International Students and Researchers of "Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra" (The State Education Development Agency) within three directions:
• Scholarships for studies in Latvia
• Fellowships for research work in Latvia
• Scholarships for summer schools in Latvia
Application form and additional information can be found at Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra
(State Education Development Agency): "International Cooperation" "Scholarships"
I. Countries, citizens of which are eligible to apply for the Latvian fellowships for research work:
Belgium (Walloon Region), Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Finland, France, Georgia, Greece, Hungary, Israel, Italy, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia,
Peru, Poland**, Portugal, South Korea, Tajikistan, The People`s Republic of China, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan
II. Latvian fellowships for research work in the academic year 2017/2018
a) Application conditions
Only academic staff of foreign HEIs is eligible candidates for the Latvian fellowship.
The fellowships are granted for a period of up to 5 months.
The academic year in the Academy lasts from 1 September to 30 June.
b) Application procedure (deadline 1 April 2017)
An applicant has to register in the system (Link) and make a profile with a unique login and password.
An application form can be filled in on-line and necessary documents can be attached there as well.
Require following documents to be uploaded:
1. Curriculum Vitae and list of scientific publications (applicants are asked to use the Europass CV form).
2. Research plan for research work in Latvia (approx. 3 pages) and motivation letter.
3. Certified photocopies of the most recent higher education qualification obtained, including supplements.
4. Letter, confirming the opportunity to do research work from the Academy
5. One recommendation letter (written within the past three months) from the home HEI, research institution or employer.
6. Copy of passport or identity card.
Other important information:
All documents, which are not in Latvian or English, shall be translated into Latvian or English. All translations shall be officially certified.
The curriculum vitae and motivation letter shall be dated and signed.
Any incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
All applications will be evaluated by the Evaluation Committee of VIAA in accordance with the following evaluation criteria:
1) Plan for the research work;
2) Motivation for the research work in Latvia.
Foreigners who apply for research work in the field of Latvian language, literature or culture, are awarded one additional point.
The final decision on granting scholarships will be made by the Evaluation Committee.
The list of accepted candidates will be published on the website of VIAA (English version) in June 2016. All candidates will be informed personally about the results by e-mail.
c) Financial provisions
• The amount of the Latvian fellowship is 30,00 EUR per day and max. 300,00 EUR for accommodation per month.
• The fellowship holder is expected to remain in residence in Riga/ Latvia for the full duration of the proposed period. If she/he is absent from the host HEI more than 14 consecutive days, his/her fellowship will be cancelled.
• Upon request, the host HEI provides the fellowship holder with a place in a dormitory or a guesthouse. Requests for accommodation in the international student dormitories must be submitted one month before arrival. Alternatively, foreign researchers may consider renting an apartment in the city.
• The Latvian fellowship cannot be awarded concurrently with other scholarships.
• Travel expenses to the Latvian HEI and back to the country of origin are not covered by the Latvian fellowship.
• Fellowship holders are required to make their own arrangements for insurance coverage.
Additional information can be found at Valsts izglītības attīstības aģentūra (State Education Development Agency),
"International Cooperation" "Scholarships":